Before you approach a new dog, it’s important to ask the owners if they’re ok with you petting the dog. While most look friendly, some might be uneasy around new people and could lash out with a bite. If you happen to find yourself dealing with a dog bite, follow our tips to ensure your recovery goes smoothly.
- Identify the dog, and write down contact info of the dog owner and any witnesses. It’s important to identify the dog to make sure it doesn’t have rabies or other infectious diseases.
- Call 911 in the case of life-threatening injuries or if the dog is still being aggressive after the initial bite. Paramedics and police officers can help diffuse the situation and get immediate medical help for the victim.
- See a doctor for injury treatment immediately after the incident if the bite caused skin damage. If there is minimal damage, keep an eye out for signs of infection; seek care and any necessary medication as needed to prevent further infection. Medical treatment is essential, especially if you are unfamiliar with the background of the dog or its owner.
- Report the dog bite to appropriate city or county offices. That way, they can keep track of the dog and take appropriate action when necessary. Be sure to include photos of your injuries in the report and legal claims.
- Keep a journal to record pain and thoughts surrounding the injury, starting in the first few weeks after the incident. Because claims often take months to years to complete, it’s important to have a robust record to refer to in the claim.
- Seek legal guidance from an experienced personal injury attorney. A lawyer will support you in a dog bite case and help reach a settlement. He or she can also provide valuable legal advice and education on applicable laws.
Paul Galm is an experienced animal bite lawyer serving the Portland and Beaverton, OR areas. If you or a loved one has been involved in a dog attack, you might be able to receive compensation for negligence and injuries.
Whether you’re seeking legal advice or representation, Paul Galm is here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation.